Joining Ark William Parker Academy
The academy has a well-developed process to make joining us a positive experience for students and their parents.
Once a place has been accepted the following process is put into place:
- Have an individual meeting with Head of Year of member or the Senior Leadership Team.
- The Head of Year and special educational needs co-ordinator will visit the child's primary school to talk to teachers who already know the child well.
- To complement the academic data provided by primary schools every new student will sit Cognitive Ability Tests along with reading and comprehension tests to give us a detailed understanding of each students' learning needs.
- We provide a full induction programme for all new students to help their smooth entry to the academy community.
- Every parent will receive three reports per year and is invited to parent and teacher meetings to help maintain a close relationship between home and the academy.
The academy has an agreed Published Admissions Number (PAN) of 240 pupils in Year 7.
When we admit students, we prioritise children with Education, Health and Care plans. Then, if our academy is oversubscribed, we offer places to children in the following order of priority.
a) Looked After Children and Children who have been previously looked after
b) Children of staff of the school where there is a demonstrable skill shortage
c) Children who have a sibling who already attends the school and who will continue to do so on the date of admission (for this purpose “sibling” means a whole, half or step-brother or -sister resident at the same address)
d) Children of staff of the school (where there is no skill shortage)
d) Children living within a pre-defined community area (In this case inside area 2. See policy document for map.)
e) Children living outside a pre-defined community area (In this case outside area 2. See policy document for map.)
Admissions Policy September 2015 entry
For more details, please see the policy below.
Admissions Policy 2016/17
The Admissions Policy relating to admissions to the academy, in the academic year 2016/17 can be found below:
Admissions Policy 2017/18
The Admissions Policy relating to admissions to the academy, in the academic year 2017/18 can be found below:
Ark Network Appeals Timetable
September 2016 entry
Appeals for children refused a place at a preferred school for admission to Year 7 in September 2016 will be heard in line with the School Admissions Appeals Code (2012).
|Offer date||Deadline for lodging an appeal|
|Secondary||1 March 2016||19 April 2016|
|after 19 April 2016 (late appeals)|
‘On-time’ appeals will be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. Appeals lodged after these dates will be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline or 30 school days of being lodged, whichever is the later date.
Parents/carers will be notified of their appeal date by an external agency engaged by the Ark network, at least 10 school days before the hearing. They will provide a copy of the school’s statement of case which will be sent to each parent/carer at least 10 school days before the hearing.
Any additional evidence parents/carers wish to submit in support of their appeal must be sent to the external agency at least 5 working days before the hearing. Any evidence not submitted by this deadline may not be considered by the independent appeal panel.