Joining Ark William Parker Academy
The academy has a well-developed process to make joining us a positive experience for students and their parents.
Once a place has been accepted the following process is put into place:
- An individual interview with a head of house or member of the Senior Leadership Team
- The head of house and special educational needs co-ordinator will contact the child's primary school to talk to teachers who already know the child well
- To complement the academic data provided by primary schools, every new student will sit Cognitive Ability Tests along with reading and comprehension tests to give us a detailed understanding of each student’s learning needs
- Provision of a full induction programme for all new students to help smooth their entry into the academy community
- Parents regularly receive progress reports and invitations to parent and teacher meetings to help maintain a close relationship between home and the academy
- Annual curriculum information evenings for parents and carers, focusing on curriculum and assessment information relating to their son
Ark Network Appeals Timetable
Appeals for children refused a place at a preferred school for admission to Year 7 in September will be heard in line with the School Admissions Appeals Code (2012).
|Offer date||Deadline for lodging an appeal|
|Secondary||1 March 2018||19 April 2018|
‘On-time’ appeals will be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. Appeals lodged after these dates will be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline or 30 school days of being lodged, whichever is the later date.
Mid-year appeals must be heard within 30 school days of receipt of the appeal.
Parents/carers will be notified of their appeal date by an external agency engaged by the Ark network.
Any additional evidence parents/carers wish to submit in support of their appeal must be sent to the external agency at least 5 working days before the hearing. Any evidence not submitted by this deadline may not be considered by the independent appeal panel.
If you wish to appeal for a place in year 7, please click here for the secondary appeal form.